"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Early Holidays

Over the last few days we have felt an increase of love and gratitude and have shared some unforgettable experiences. We were so grateful that our loving priesthood leaders were able to secure permission for Elder Cameron Loser to come home for a couple of days to be with us. We had all accepted that he wouldn't be coming home, but a tender mercy from the Lord was granted. We recognize this is a rare exception, but we are ever grateful. Dad wanted us all to dress up and look like missionaries when we picked up Cameron to reassure he had a companion.When we learned that Cameron was coming home, I (Adam) suggested we celebrate some holidays with all the family together. We put together the tent fort, had some Easter muffins for breakfast, and watched some fun family home videos. Nicole did have some bad hair days.

The next morning we all got dressed up and headed up to the Garden Park Ward house in SLC to take family pictures. The grounds were beautiful and we had a great time. Nearly 30 years ago, Dad and Mom had their engagement pictures taken there. We'll post some of the goodies when they are ready, but here are a couple of candids and one original that started it all.

Mom had asked some amazing friends to help prepare a Thanksgiving dinner and they delivered a Thanksgiving feast! Elders really delivered. We will be eating the scrumptious leftovers into next week.We were surprised first by the cub scouts. They had a great sign and Dad took the time to shake each hand in the true cub handshake and gave each a hug. It brought tears to his eyes. Thank you for the wonderful visit!



We finished up our Thanksgiving feast and then decided to go and see some Christmas lights and sing some Christmas songs. This is a long standing tradition where Dad researches the best places to see lights and then we take long drives during December and see lights and sing songs. Sometimes the drives got old and boring, but this one seemed a bit short. We all (10) piled in the car and were off. The Loveland family was kind enough to turn on their giant tree up on the mountainside early to give us some lights to see. Thank you so much!



We then headed home and just as we arrived, our dear Ricks Friends arrived and sang Christmas carols. Again, the tears flowed and hugs for all. We invited them in and we all piled in the blanket fort and Dad bore his testimony of his surety of a better world. Kleenex please.

As we were climbing into the fort, we found that Santa had come early and left kind notes, gifts, and tokens of friendship. It was all just so overwhelming for all of us. We were all exhausted, but made our way upstairs and shared some fond memories of holidays past. We had our traditional nut in the pudding. Alex went first, and got the nut - cheater! He opened a statue of Joseph, Mary, and Jesus. We watched some more entertaining home movies of previous Christmas holidays and retired.
The next morning, we woke up and shared some personal gifts with each other and enjoyed some wonderful breakfast casserole. We watched Isaac play with his new tractors and farm animals, thanks Grandpa and Grandma! It was so fun for us.


We then headed downstairs to cry again at the generosity and selfless giving of our dear friends and neighbors. It was truly a special time for our family.


Thank you all for making it so wonderful. We felt humbled and undeserving yet overwhelmingly loved and cared for. All of God's children should have such a blessing. We can't express the sentiments of our hearts. At one point, Dad was just weeping at the generosity and we asked what we could do to help. He responded that he just wanted to be better. Warmest regards to all of you who contributed to these unforgettable last few days. The Spirit of the Lord was ever present and the manifestation of His love touched our lives through your kind service.

After we gathered our thoughts, Cameron was able to visit with Bishop Mower and President Nilson. We then packed him up with lots of beef jerky and candy from the states while he made a stroll around the block with Dad. Cameron then received a touching father's blessing and they were headed off to the airport to say their last goodbyes. Another Kleenex, or a few boxes!

Dad is drained emotionally along with the rest of us, but doing better physically. He hasn't been "sick" for a few days and is getting used to eating normal foods. He loves to go on walks with visitors and chat so bring your walking shoes if you plan to visit! We've had visitors throughout the day today and for Sunday, please come between 2 and 6. Monday evening, will be family time.

We love you all, everyone a blessing in our lives.

The Losers

P.S. It was Halloween and Isaac did manage to attack everyone with his stealthy...."along came mister crocodile, hungry as can be, and .... SNAP!" Alex did put on his storm trooper outfit and took some friends to fill the pillow case.

16 comments:

Stacy said...

I was weeping during that whole post, tears streaming down my face. Thank you so much for sharing. It is so special for family to hear of these tender moments. I am so anxious to come visit Monday. You have so many people that love you. All the service was so amazing. What memorable, priceless experiences! I love you all so much. Brandon, Collin and Mckenzie never forget to pray for uncle Rick and his family. It is said in every prayer of the day without us reminding them. The other day Collin saw me looking at this blog and saw the picture of Rick and said, "Ohh, I love uncle Rick so much!" It was so sweet. We have been praying extra hard for Cameron. (He looks so great)

Rachel said...

Dear Loser Family, Some of you may not remember me, but I went to High School with Adam and have hung out at your home a few times. (This might ring a bell, I am the pigeon girl:) I have been following this blog ever sense we stubbled across your ksl ad.
This post was very touching. The love your family has brings tears to my eyes. It takes me back to 4 months ago when we lost our nephew. Our family has never been closer to each other and the Savior. I know you can feel the Savior's love for each of you at this time. Heavenly Father has great plans for his children. To know and understand the Plan of Salvation and thee Atonement has truly been a blessing for our family. And I know will be a blessing for yours. My thoughts and prayers are with you (Richard) and your family.

Tracy said...

Dear Losers,

Rick, It was really nice to sit on the porch swing with you yesterday. I was excited to see such improvement from the last time I saw you. Miracles are evidenced all around.

The events of the past few days is an undeniable witness of the love of many for you and your family. The rich outpouring documented on this blog is proof positive.

Thank you Adam and Nichole for loving the rest of us enough to take time to prepare such a beautiful synopsis of all the happenings at the Loser home. You too Rachel for setting it up in the first place and making it look so nice. (hope I did'nt leave anyone out) if so, thanks to you as well...

Rick, I admire your strength and courage, and especially your depth of understanding of the great plan of slavation. I am inspired by you to be and do better. Thank you for being you, and for being my friend.

Remember last Sunday Barbara asked, "if you had any regrets?" You said that one was we didn't get together more. It's not to late, so let's party!!! Truth is, none of really knows for sure how much time we have. Participating in this transition with you has certainly motivated me to slow down a little and pay more attention to those around me. Death can occur in a moment; you are fortunate that God has given you time, with a fuller perspective, to accomplish much, before you go.

Jill and I will be around later, she really wants to see you and Michelle.

Love Tracy

Sandy Folkman said...

Dear Loser Family,
Thank you for your tenderness and warmth as you have opened your hearts and your home to us. Reading this blog of your recent days together has been an inspiration to me! What incredible memories you have made together. What tender mercies have come into your family during this trying time. You have an incredible family! Your love and devotion to the Lord and to one another are so evident. As the tears have been flowing, the spirit has again testified of the truths you are witnessing!

The testimonies you bore in Sacrament Meeting today were a gift to all of us! Thank you for the sacrifices you made to be there and give of yourselves so nobly! I am sure your strength and testimonies will carry many a soul through dark days. We all felt deeply honored to receive your hugs and heartfelt words of wisdom. Thank you for the countless ways you all continue to serve each of us!
Much Love,
Sandy Folkman

Siope L Kinikini said...

Man, you guys have been busy. How wonderful! When I read this post I was deeply touched by everything that is happening with you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the post and the pictures.

Happy Easter, Merry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, etc. Now I have to come up with an obscure Tongan holiday to celebrate when I come by to visit...lol.

You are loved (and deservedly so) by so many people. There really is "beauty all around" as evidenced by the outpouring of support and love by so many. How wonderful.

We continue to think and pray for you all and thanks for allowing us to know how and what is going on. Thanks for keeping up on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Rick and family. What a great family you have. From your blog, it sounds like you know how to have a fun time. What a great ward and neighborhood you must be in. A few years ago, I was in folsom, CA on business. I looked in the phone book to see if you were listed there. I didn't know until recently that you lived in Utah. I found out through another college buddy Steve Hoskin. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. Burke Richman

The Jensen Family said...

I guess I should explain who I am. I am Timmerie Jensen (Aguilar) and I used to tend all of you kids when you were little and I thought you were all so cute. I love to hear stories about you from my mother as you have grown up. I have to say that our family has looked up to your dad for so many years. Rick is pretty much the only home teacher/bishop that my dad ever became friends with and felt comfortable with. This is a very big deal for us Aguilars. Our family has always been able to feel the strong spirit that Rick shares with everyone. We have definitely been blessed to know such a person and would like to thank him for showing such kindness to our family. Thank you for the great friendships and we are praying for all of you.

Love, Timmerie Jensen (Aguilar)

Katrina said...

Rick-
It's been so many years since I've seen you or your family, but you have all been in my prayers. I remember fondly the younger years of my life when we had youth river rafting trips, girls camp, and all the other silliness that went along with being in the same ward as you. We were so immature, but you just laughed at us and encouraged us to be better. I remember babysitting your kids when Benjamin was a baby and putting pink sponge rollers in Nichole's hair after her baths (I hope I wasn't the cause of her "bad hair days"!). And I remember the years upon years upon years of you being my family's home teacher - and you actually came! We were so sad when your family decided it was time to move. You have always been a treasured friend to my parents, and a terrific example for me. Thanks for so many fun memories, and for being such an important part of my family! I will continue to pray for you and your family and I pray for your continued peace.

Katrina (Aguilar) Hill

Malia said...

Dear Loser Family - Scott (Shaw) and I went to school with Adam and were just given the link to your blog. We want you all to know that you have been in our thoughts and our prayers. We pray that you are able feel the love and peace that only the Lord can provide in times like these. We also hope you won't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to bring more comfort. Sending much love your way.

Zeann said...

Loser Family,
Forever in my heart is the memory of the first time Michelle brought Rick to the ward. She the dazzling, glowing, beautiful princess and he the handsomest of princes. I had settled on the back row and watched as everyone loved you and was so happy for you and then class started. There was a person who always had to get a little "what if" stuff going and I was not very patient with it. He started and they called on Brother Ben to explain it and he did, but the discussion seemed to go on. Then Rick raised his hand and said "it says right here", and read from his scriptures, and explained it and as he did it was like lightning ripping through me and all I could think was "My Bishop is incredible" "How silly" I argued with the spirit "this is a young college man not even married and the chances of him landing in my ward are nil". And over the years as you visited with your darling growing family I argued with the spirit more, you were supposed to be my Bishop but you didn't even live here. Then you moved in and became our Home Teacher and I held my breath each time a new Bishop came for fear you would leave before you were my Bishop. Finally I could stop holding my breath, you were my wonderful bishop. The testimony you have of our Savior is like none other I have heard and you taught me so much. I always checked before I gave a lesson to make sure you were there to add whatever we needed and I could count on you to give light to any lesson.

You are a wonderful family and have been an inspiration in the life of each member of my family through your very lives. You have been examples of everything that is right and good and still had good humor and knew how to have so much fun. That balance is a great blessing to all of us.

And best of all for Bob, you loved fishing. He caught 3 huge ones on Strawberry the other day and wished again he could run that cooler over and show you because you would love them.

Hope we can get over to see you in the next few days. We will check first. Love you all

Unknown said...

I have been meaning to write for sometime now, but must admit that there are no words to truly express what I feel. Rick I just want you to know how much I love you! I have always enjoyed being around you and have even loved the teasing. You never let me live down the little slips of the tongue:) "I can't play ball until I get fixed" or "I strip out at work" are just a few painful slips :) It was never what I meant to say, but it gave us all some good laughs. Thank you for all of your love and support over the years. I have always valued your opinion. You have always made me feel special. I will never forget the advice you gave me two years ago at the Ricks College Reunion. You told me that everything would work out and that I was alright. That meant so much to me as at that time I was getting a lot of outside pressure (not from my family) because I was not married. You have always been a spiritual giant in my eyes. I will greatly miss you. Thank you for the difference you have made in my life. There is so much more that I want to say, but I just don't know how. I hope that you can feel of my love for you and your family. You are in my prayers.
Love, Sheri Bingham Blades

Siope L Kinikini said...

I have been hoping to come and visit but I've not been feeling 100% but I'm on the mend. I hope you are doing well and I hope to see you soon.

You are always in my thoughts.

Tracy said...

Hi Losers,

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you. Hope all is well. Let's party...!

Love Tracy & Jill

Anonymous said...

Dear Loser family,
This is Becky (Wadsworth) Heiner. It has been a long time, but Adam and I were friends back in high school (Hi Adam) and I have always remembered and admired your family. I am so incredibly saddened by this news and I just want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and some can seem almost unbearable. I am so grateful to know that the atonement and the gospel can and will bring much peace to your family in the difficult times ahead. I am so sorry you are going through this and I pray the Lord will continue to strengthen and uplift you.

necia said...

I am home late Saturday night, Tracy....plan a party morning, noon, or night!!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Barbara

jody mower said...

Now that's a couple of hotties!