"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4

Monday, November 24, 2008

Our Southern California Trip

So we had a G-R-E-A-T family trip to California- Myself, Michelle, Nichole, Benj, and Alex flew to Sacramento Saturday for the extended Loser Family Reunion last Sunday. Wednesday Dad drove us to San Diego in their 32' motorhome. Know that we had a truly great time reliving and creating fresh memories! We are so thankful to have been able to go on this trip. We are so grateful for all who made every aspect of this trip fall into place for us- especially for a kind, loving Heavenly Father who not only blesses us with what we need, but also graciously grants those wants which "gladden the heart and are pleasing to the eye."

You know us - so far, every aspect of this trip had neatly fallen into place for our greatest benefit and pleasure. That means we were overdue for some hiccup or another. Saturday we awoke, and after breakfast I noticed wetness from a place on my abdomen area that shouldn't have wetness. Closer inspection revealed that the wetness was coming from the midline incision. The boys visited a surf shop down the street and rented a long board and two pairs of swim fins, and I went to shower. I informed Michelle that we probably needed to call my colorectal surgeon in Utah and report this new development. Dr. Griffin said go to the ER. It could be a tumor pressing on the incision, but the more likely cause of the wetness was an abscess, which required immediate attention. We sent the boys off to the beach while Rachel and Isaac were napping, and went to the hospital to have a CT scan and a drain to empty the abscess.

Our family had a truly awesome and amazing reunion and vacation experience. I said goodbyes to sweet, sweet women in my family, and long long-time friends. Once again we have been blessed by so many wonderful people, and in so many unlikely and unexpected ways. The only thing lacking in the trip was perhaps, just perhaps another couple of days- one in the north, and two in the south. We are more than content and happy with our outcomes and take-aways. We are loved, and it is good to be home again!

To save blog space (and people's eyes), we shortened this post and added an older post entitled "The California Trip Story." If you would like to see this, click on the link at the bottom of the page that says Older Posts.

12 comments:

J+C Wood said...

WOW! Even on the dream trip...it was a 'Loser' outting. I'm soo thrilled that you had an amazing trip and I got a Loser Family Picture out of it!
I envy you that ocean time. I crave that feeling that comes with the surf.
I have to say that I was having update withdrawls while you were away, so know that you all were missed. Enjoy Thanksgiving! I love you my brother!

-Catherine

Barbara Jackson said...

Wow. We thought about you the entire time you were gone. Thrilled you had some good times, heart broke about the hard times. Glad you were able to work on Elder Loser's requests. They will be the world to not only him, but all the kids.

Happy Thanksgiving our friends. We love you.

xoxoxoxox

Ned and Barbara

Tracy said...

What an adventure. Rick, you always were the life of the party! Some things never change... So what's next, barrel rolls down the middle of the mall with stuff flying everywhere! Never a dull moment - right!

Anyway, glad to hear you had such a great trip - memories last a lifetime and I'm sure those closest to you will have a bunch to reflect on.

You guys are awesome, such great examples of love and devotion, not to mention amazing faith and dedication. We all learn so much from our observations. You inspire us, as I am sure you do many others.

Happy turkey days, eat like a pig!!!

Love Tracy & Jill

Steve Hoskin said...

Rick and Family, I too was having withdrawals but hoping you were on your trip and it was going well. As I read about your son's requests I could visualize you working on it from your hospital bed.I'm sure the things you write will be a treasure for a life time.
God Bless You All. Love, Steve

Anonymous said...

Michelle and family,
Although it's been a very long time - I just wanted to tell you that you have always had a place in my heart. I have wonderful memories of your sweet smile and spirit.
I have enjoyed looking at the pictures of you and your family. There is much love expressed in each photograph.
I also wanted to let you know of my love and support in this time of trial.
What a joy and comfort the gospel brings. Please know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya,
Laurie Jorgenson Zimmer

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Even the timing of the gushing and spurting and streaming was fortuate. You and Michele would have had a much harder time fitting in the restroom of the airplane! My list of top 25 things I grateful for now includes the entry "I'm grateful I've never exploded at the airport!" Thanks again for sharing with us.

Love,

Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Loser family:
Glad you had such a wonderful time. I lucked out talking to Michelle in San Diego on the phone. I got to share in your trip for a quick moment. Rick, always a fun story in your ventures. I am grateful for your ability to laugh at the opposition. You are such a joy to me. Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and I will see you soon thereafter. My Dad will delight in knowing you are having turkey under the trees.... something he always wants to do.
Love to your all, Pana Lou

Zeann said...

So glad to hear the trip was such a delight. I went to crowded Harmon's today and held my purse tight and then relaxed but felt a twing of nostalgia when I realized you weren't there.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Love you

Janet said...

You and your family are in my prayers, we love you all!!!
RRRon

J J Judd said...

As a certified "Clarifier Taste Tester" I (Jim)can sympathized with that type of predicament.:)

We are so thankful to know you and your family and see your wonderful example of faith. Thank-you for teaching by example what is most important. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you all, everyone who has helped, and continue to help our son Rick and his family. May God bless you always, for your outpouring of love and support, your physical help, and your generous contributions. May your kind deeds be returned to you tenfold.
It was wonderful having the family with us in California. Ricks days here were truly a gift. Its beyond belief- that one gentle, soft spoken man could touch so many lives and receive so much in return. His soft voice will echo thru our minds forever;thanks to modern technology, his grandchildren will see and hear him too. We have had this special sweet spirit in our midst for 52 years, shared his strong testemony, shared his adventures, sharedhugs and kisses, his tears, his joy, his dissapointments, his love of the scriptures,and his love of Heavenly Father. We are so verry thankful Rick was granted the time and strenth to visit his home, family and friends; to say goodby. Our hearts are broken and yet there is excitement too, to send him on his next great adventure; wonder what it willbe? I know he will walk among the heros of the Book of Mormon, he has many questions for Brother Joseph and stories to share with Maroni and Helaman. In his last testomony to Dad me, he quoted D&C 81:5 and Isiah 35:3 and Hebrews 12:15. This is how he lives his life, and continues to set an example for all of us who love him.Love you all- Mom&Dad Loser.

Patricia Huff said...

Hi Richard - Debra from your office forwarded to me your Blog - what a nice idea! I wanted to reach out & say "Hello" and thank you for all your help when I was starting Guardian Angels HomeCare in 2005. I love seeing these pictures of the family...and that little grandson is adorable!
Best to you and the family - you are in my prayers -
Pat Huff - Guardian Angels HomeCare - Cheshire, Connecticut