"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hospital Schmospital (can I get two of those, please?)

Hello all,

Today is Friday, June 12th, and dad just got out of surgery. He's been here at the hospital for a bowel blockage that started out annoying and developed into a full obstruction. So, yesterday, we finally talked to the surgeon Dr. Griffin (the same one who took out dad's colon and found the cancer in October). He wanted to do surgery, but also wanted to know more about where the blockage was and had dad do a whole bunch of tests he's not done before. The doctor decided it was important to do the surgery asap, so dad went in today around 3:30 pm. 

When Dr. Griffin came out, this is the story he told us:

Dad's cancer is wide spread on his intestines, and there were several blockage sites where his guts were twisted with scar tissue and tumors. As a result, Dr. Griffin couldn't separate his intestines without doing a lot of damage, so he left them as they were. Instead, he 

1) moved down along dad's intestines from his stomach as far as he could (leaving 2-3 feet of good intestine) and created a new ileostomy on the other side of his stomach. Yes, he now has two. This means that he can eat still, and the 2-3 feet aren't tumor-ridden. It also means he doesn't have enough intestine to survive off of regular eating habits. 

2) "installed" a G-tube (Gastric-tube) that is a drain directly from the stomach out through the abdomen wall - it's permanent and sticks out of his stomach. If dad has any more bowel problems, he can hook up the G-tube to a vacuum machine that sucks out any blockages at home; this keeps us out of the hospital in the future. 

3) put in a PICC line (he had one before - it's a central I.V. that stays in his arm all the time). They did this because dad needs nutrition, and he will be starting this great program recommended by his new firecracker nutritionist (who has decided to be a strong advocate for him). It involves this cool substance called TPN (Total Parental Nutrition) which is a feeding liquid they create specially for dad's needs. It goes in through the PICC line for 12 hours at night and is like a complete diet; dad won't need to eat when he's on the TPN, but he still wants to try the new KFC baked chicken. Dad's incision is about twice as long as it's been before, so he's probably going to be in the hospital for at least another five plus days. 

I know, I know, it's a lot to take in. At least it is for us. Two bags to change, two new appendages. 
Same dad. We love him.
Thank you, 

The Losers

14 comments:

Barbara Jackson said...

Wow..........a lot to take in. Thank goodness for Drs who know and care for you!!! Thank goodness for family who knows and cares for you!!!
Thank goodness for you.

We love you Rick.

xoxoxoxo

Ned and Barbara

Leslie Scoresby said...

Dang!!! That's probably why I missed you on thursday. I'm also glad you have doctors who can help with some solutions to make things a bit better.
We love you

Zeann said...

Wow tailor made!!! must be a perfect fit. How long have we wished we could eat anything and everthing we wanted and not be wearing it for the rest of our ives. Now that is what I call have your cake and eat it to.

So sorry for all the mess but wishing you and your family all the peace, comfort and blessings possible while you pass the present test. So far you have all AAAAs. best wishes. Love you all

Liana Kinikini said...

If you are feeling up for visitors, we will try to stop by on Sunday. We will call first. Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

Siope L Kinikini said...

Oh my... that is a lot to take in. My goodness. I had to read that post twice. Wow. We are always with you in our prayers and thoughts. I'll visit again but I'll be more uplifting this time. lol. We sure love you guys.

Us.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Richard. I hear your turtle has been wandering again! I was also admiring your beautiful garden yesterday. I wish you were home to admire it, too. We are sorry about the new developments, but glad for all the advocates you have.

With love, Sheryl Dame

Timothy Mitt Robinson said...

We love you, Richard. Sorry about all the new appliances... Hope to see you soon.
Tim and Holly and fam

Jenisa said...

Dear Losers,

I've been following your blog for some time now. I'm sorry to hear of your family's struggles but am strengthened by your faith and trust in the Lord.

I went to school with Adam (I was on swim team with him the year his hand got run over with a lawn mower) but haven't seen him in years, so tell him "hi" and congrats on the upcoming addition.

I have to give Nichole credit for her fantastic explaination of medical terms. Just one critique TPN is total parentERal (meaning outside the bowel) nutrition. I thought you would like to know, but seriously, I should hire her to talk to my patients she's so good at explaining things.

I pray for your family's continued strength as you face upcoming trials.

Much love,
Jenisa Oberbeck
oberbeck@nova.edu

Tracy said...

Holy crap!!! You have got to stay away from those doctors... before you know it they will have sliced and diced you into itty bitty pieces, there won't be anything left to plug a potty bag into. You must be really tired of it all... You're the man though. I'm sure I could'nt handle it. I cry like a baby when I get a hangnail. Bring on the opiates man.

Seriously Rick, we can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for you, for all of you. However, what we can imagine and do know is this... you are truly amazing and inspiring people with remarkable faith and indescribable courage, evidenced each day as you face this incredible challenge.

We imagine your family united in resolve to endure this trial and determined to understand and accept a loving Father's will in the face of extreme hardship.

We imagine discouragement, uncertainty, sleepless nignts and many many why questions... but then, in those moments of despair, we imagine a faithful family drawn together, strengthened and uplifted through the power of the Spirit that certainly attends you.

We imagine a family dignified as you face each day with hope and courage.

We imagine a family surrounded by mortal and immortal love. We imagine...

Losers, we are honored, blessed and grateful to call you friends. May the Lord continue to bless you each and every day.

As Always, Tracy & Jill

Siope L Kinikini said...

It's strange how everyone who responds on here is connected to you and in some strange way connecting each of us to each other.

I have been thinking about you a lot the past few days and I've wanted to visit but also want to be sure you aren't overwhelmed with so many visitors along with everything else. Besides, the last time I visited I had you all to myself and I want to share;)

Anyway, Rick, you have changed my life in every way and I am grateful for all you have done, all you continue to do and especially for who you are. Obviously, from the responses on this blog, I am not alone in this sentiment. You have a unique gift of making "good men better" simply by just being yourself. Thanks for making space for me in your life and for being such a big piece in mine.

Love you tons.

Dave said...

Richard, you are one of the strongest persons i have ever known. I know all of these procedures must seem like a lot to have to deal with. I pray it helps you in your life with your family. Hope you have a happy fathers day!!!
Dave

Charlotte said...

I've tried to call you guys a few times to see how you are doing. Praying for you!
Love you,
Chari

mom2charlie said...

testing

mom2charlie said...

Dear Losers,
I am one of your followers. I think I have written here before that I came across your blog indirectly from my cousin's blog, who is a sister-in-law to Anika Dart, who had you listed as a family blog.
Anyway, since I have been following you I have been impressed with your family just like everyone else who reads about you.
My son, Jordan, is currently serving a mission in Leon, Mexico and I was touched when your son came home to spend some time with the family. It is just one of the times your family has amazed and inspired me.
Today would have been the 12th birthday of my youngest son, Charlie. He had a short but amazing life. I have a blog about him if you want to read more about him, but the short story is that he had a little know condition called Chronic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS for short) and we were intimately familiar with TPN, picc lines, central lines, g-tubes, you name it, Charlie had it. During his 4, almost 5 years, he packed a lot into life and taught our family some important truths that we have sustained us in his absence.
Your family is obviously special and loving and members of our fortunate group that know about our Heavenly Father's plan for us. It is in the knowing of this plan of happiness that makes these earthly trials bearable. Thank goodness for the young men who go 2 by 2 throughout the earth and bring that message to all of our Heavenly Father's people.
You are in my prayers, Loser family, and you are an inspiration to me and so many others.
Lisa Guthrie
mm to Elder Jordan Guthrie, Leon Mexico, 3/09-3/11
(for some reason I have to sign in as him, but it is his mama speaking!)