"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The California Trip Story

Dad wrote several pages describing our family trip to California. Here it is in all its glory and detail:

So we had a G-R-E-A-T family trip to California- Myself, Michelle, Nichole, Benj, and Alex flew to Sacramento Saturday for the extended Loser Family Reunion last Sunday.Then we met with some old family friends- John & Mary Cray. John and his older sister and younger brother came to my four-year old birthday party! We also visited my Grandpa Melvin Bohall's gravesite, and did some nature exploring earlier in the day. Tuesday Michelle & Nichole lunched with a very old friend of Michelle's- Gay Wagstaff, whom Michelle has been hanging out with since they were eight years old. The boys and I visited a couple of the places I lived as a child, and then in Coloma, CA where gold was discovered in 1848. I showed them where I was baptized in the South Fork of the American River under the Coloma Bridge! We ended the day dining with some other long-time family friends- Rick and Michelle Smith. Rick and I have been fast buds since we were 11 years old!

Wednesday Dad drove us to San Diego in their 32' motor home. Know that we had a truly great time reliving and creating fresh memories! We are so thankful to have been able to go on this trip. We are so grateful for all who made every aspect of this trip fall into place for us- especially for a kind, loving Heavenly Father who not only blesses us with what we need, but also graciously grants those wants which "gladden the heart and are pleasing to the eye." We left early and detoured to Fisherman's Wharf for Clam Chowder, San Francisco Sourdough bread, fresh Dungeness Crab, and Shrimp Cocktail. We took our lunch 23 miles south to Pacifica, CA. where my Grandma Bush (Dad Loser's mom) used to live. At the Pacifica Pier we felt the pounding surf, smelled the sea spray, and listened to the gulls while devouring the seafood smorgasbord. It doesn't get much better than that was! It was all I remembered in the way of sensory delight, and all I anticipated in my little brain!

We left Northern California amid tears and sobs and much love. We had a wonderful time at Mom and Dad Loser's in Loomis. Thanks for babying us and your care and love! We arrived in San Diego in two shifts- Adam, Rachel and Isaac flew in at about 2:00 pm. The Northern crew arrived about 10:30 pm via motorcoach, chauffeured by Grandpa George Loser. We stayed in two condos that were literally 40 feet from the Mission Bay Beach, and 150 yards from the outer or surf side of the mighty Pacific! It was gorgeous! The condo comes with boogie boards, beach chairs, kayaks, etc. Half a block away is the Catamaran Club with spa privileges. This "spa" has just plain incredible landscaping, even for San Diego. WOW, what a setting for the Losers to get lost for a few days!

Thursday we went to the San Diego Zoo first thing in the morning. Dad was excited for this time with Isaac seeing all the zoo animals up close. Isaac (and truthfully Benj & Alex, too) got excited over all the incredible animals, plants, and exhibits. As you can well imagine, many landscape designs were carefully observed and photographed with an eye toward some smaller re-creation in a window well in Alpine, UT. About 2:00pm we left the zoo and Dad us left for the lonely return trip to Loomis. He did not even have a Nuvi (GPS) for company. We returned to the condos for lunch, and Isaac and I napped while the boys boogied in the surf. They said it was cold, but very, very fun! Dad reported in at 11:30 pm that he was safely back home and heading to bed. Thanks for the huge help in getting us down to San Diego Dad. You are our hero in more ways than just keeping us safe and driving.

Friday we spent the main part of the day at Sea World. Isaac loved the Shamu show, no big surprise there. The very same Bubbles the Pilot whale (some 40 plus years old) I remembered seeing from a Sea World Stroller when I was a youngster. We commuted home a whole four-and-a-half minutes and the boys immediately changed and hit the surf again. We have video of bogeying until the sun was completely gone! Die-hards for a good time. From surf to spa and hot tubs, then dinner, two rousing rounds of video Family Feud, scriptures, family prayer, and thankfully and tiredly to a comfy bed.

You know us - so far, every aspect of this trip had neatly fallen into place for our greatest benefit and pleasure. That means we were overdue for some hiccup or another. Saturday we awoke, and after breakfast I noticed wetness from a place on my abdomen area that shouldn't have wetness. Closer inspection revealed that the wetness was coming from the midline incision. The boys visited a surf shop down the street and rented a long board and two pairs of swim fins, and I went to shower. I informed Michelle that we probably needed to call my colorectal surgeon in Utah and report this new development. Dr. Griffin said go to the ER. It could be a tumor pressing on the incision, but the more likely cause of the wetness was an abscess, which required immediate attention. We sent the boys off to the beach while Rachel and Isaac were napping.

By 11 am Michelle, Nichole and I were at Sharp Memorial Hospital ER. One CAT scan, two IV antibiotics, and five hours later the ER Doc said it was at least one abscess and I needed to be admitted. A couple hours later an Internalist said the abscess would require surgery to drain. I finally got into a room at about 7:45 pm and I hadn't had any food or water all day long. Dinner service ended at 8 pm. We called the rest of the family to come visit, and to make two stops: three Taco Bell crunchy tacos w/hot and mild sauce, and a medium Wendy's chocolate frosty and small fries. I was taking no chances with the prospect of surgery and no food again the next day! The family and food came for a brief visit, then due to the small, shared room I was left alone for the evening.

Now hospitals and sleep do not roll together for me. I had Nichole's laptop and an assignment from Cameron for several lists as his last request from Dad (lists of my favorites). How sentimental is that from a 19 year-old rugby missionary? Is he a great young man or what?

His lists are:

1. Dad’s Tips on How Missionaries Worked best with him when he was bishop

2. Dad’s Top Twenty Memorable Spiritual Moments

3. Dad’s Scouting Service Record

4. Dad’s Top 25 Favorite Songs and performers, include Christmas too

5. Dad’s Top 25 Favorite Movies/Musicals

6. Dad’s Top 10 Campfire Stories

7. Dad’s Top 25 Favorite Camping and Fishing Locations

Thus far only two of the lists had been completed. By 1:30 am I had most of the lists finished off, plus a list of Michelle's recipes that sounded particularly appetizing to me as requested by Michelle. After five or six interruptions I woke up at 6 am and completed the lists. At 9 am a general surgeon came in to inform me that they would be utilizing Interventional Radiology, or x-ray guided needles and tubes to drain the abscess. We had made each successive doctor aware of our situation of being on an end-of-life family vacation and had a flight home Monday morning at 11 am. Again the doctors and the staff were all amazingly accommodating and caring. I was served breakfast, which I of course ate on the spot, only to find out that my surgery could not take place until eight hours after my last meal. I was scheduled for 4 pm surgery. The family came in to visit after going to church, and Adam and Benj gave me another perfect powerful priesthood blessing. Then they left intending to be back to take me home after the procedure. I actually went in to Radiology at a little before 2 pm. We were out of the hospital by a little before 4pm, and drove directly to the San Diego temple to walk the grounds in the last hour of daylight. It was delightful. President Hinckley said of the San Diego temple, "If the Salt Lake temple is the king of temples, then San Diego is surely the queen." or, so it was attributed to have been said by one of the missionaries on the grounds there. We returned home to have home cooked spaghetti dinner, discuss dispensing of my stuff after I am gone, and outlining a program for my funeral. It had been another very full and fulfilling day of gratefulness and thanksgiving.

Monday began uneventful. Due to our large suitcases, we needed to make two trips to the airport. Three minutes after the first group was delivered to the curb at the airport, I noticed that my ostomy bag went from about 1/3 full to 1-1/3 full, resulting in the soiling of my entire right side and leg. I was riding in our rented wheelchair, and Alex whisked me off to a bathroom. Of course the handicapped stall was occupied! We finally got in and Alex helped to undress me in such a way as to attempt to keep any additional nearby surfaces, or any of my additional surfaces from further soiling. We left Benj protecting the security of all our bags in a corner of the ticketing area, while Michelle was digging through those suitcases for all the needed supplies and clothing change. We had some items prepared from past experience, but we had never experienced a spewing, spurting stream of sewage like this! Michelle waited until the bathroom was empty of any other men and slipped into the handicapped stall with me. Boy, I never felt so handicapped in all my life! Michelle prepared the new bag and applied it while I laid on the floor. At one point a visitor whom I saw come and go reported a person lying on the floor of the men's room needing attention, so we had a visit from security checking to make sure I was fine. I thought the visitor had been talking on his cell phone when he repeatedly said "Hello, Hello." Michelle was afraid to respond at all, and both Michelle and I had thoughts of accounts of toilet stall sex stings and other such weirdness, so we did not answer. Oh well. All is well that ends well . . .I think I have heard about every pun ever thought up about my "END"!

After another small incident surrounding my "medical" gravity chair needing to be checked at the ticket counter, we all managed to board the plane and come safely home. A quick side trip to my surgeon on the way home supplied additional confidence regarding the surgery and anticipated outcome. We arrived home at about 3 pm.

Our family had a truly awesome and amazing reunion and vacation experience. I said goodbyes to sweet, sweet women in my family, and long long-time friends. Once again we have been blessed by so many wonderful people, and in so many unlikely and unexpected ways. The only thing lacking in the trip was perhaps, just perhaps another couple of days- one in the north, and two in the south. We are more than content and happy with our outcomes and take-aways. We are loved, and it is good to be home again!

No comments: