"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4

Thursday, October 23, 2008

More Hospital Stuff (Post from Wed Oct 22nd)

We know that everyone is anxious to hear more and the latest. All that’s going on around here is more hospital stuff.

After a hard post surgery day (Tuesday), Wednesday was much better. Dad walked a lot and ate more than usual. Unfortunately, his bag leaked five times. Normally it’s one ileostomy bag to 5 days, so we are a little backwards. This is due to his belly swelling from surgery and the close proximity of the bag to dad's midline incision.

Dad got to move to a liquid diet on Wednesday - yippie! (Progress to custard, cream of wheat, cream of mushroom soup, and chocolate pudding). Thursday he is moving to soft foods. If that goes well, dad might make it home just in time for Alex’s birthday party!

Again, thank you for all your concern and support. We’ve been unafraid, as of late, to tell those we love “I love you.” We’ve realized how important it is to share our feelings with those we care about. Don’t be afraid to say it to those you care about, too.
We love you all,
The Losers

4 comments:

Siope L Kinikini said...

Happy Birthday to Alex! I'm grateful I could visit and thanks for your hospitality. I'm hoping you'll get to go home tonight.

Man, does it seem like I camp on this blogsite? Anyway, I just want to be close without being intrusive.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for your "fine folks" (really, and I mean it)

White Family said...

You all are an inspiration to me, and bring me to tears.

Tom Karren said...

Brother Seymour and I were able to visit Richard last night with a couple Priests from our ward, Chad Stilson and Spencer Carter.

It was great to see you Richard and hear another impact-full scoutmasters' minute. I think it will be a life changing event for those boys to have had the opportunity to visit with you and get your perspective on this illness and your faith in the Lord.

I hope you can rest and recoup as fast as possible and be able to come home and enjoy spending time with your family and friends. We are all praying and pulling for you and stand behind you and your family no matter what.

Brother Karrne

J+C Wood said...

Not only can Rick still be spiritual in a hospital bed, but he can still be Rick.

This morning Catherine and I visited while Rick and Nichole were eating breakfast. Rick's stoma was being over active and our 2 year old daughter kept noticing the noise. She was eating some raisins and I jokingly asked Rick if he wanted one. He winced a little as his stoma 'blarted' and he said, "I bet I could shoot it across the room". We all laughed except Rick who literally has stitches in his side. I can't write what Nichole said next, but we all laughed again.

-Jared